Tuesday, August 09, 2011

A special day for me

Sixty two years ago today, I was born in the island of Savai'i of the Samoa Islands. My parents were serving as faife'au of the Ekalesia LMS (as it was called at that time) in the village of Fatausi. This was their very first posting after my father graduated from Malua Theological College. At the time of my birth, Samoa was administered by New Zealand and a new High Commissioner Sir Guy Richardson Powles had replaced Voelcker. The Mau Movement( the active resistance by Samoans against the way they were ruled or administered by colonial powers) had brought demands on the various colonial powers for Samoa to become an Independent island nation.
So I was born in to a new era of new policy that were to prepare Samoa for Independence. Thirteen years later I marched in my Girl Guide uniform at Mulinu'u and witness the flag of New Zealand go out, and the Samoan flag remain on its own. I was a proud 12 year old! It was then I started to learn about politics!
I write this in memory of my parents who have passed on. Thanks for your amazing love and care for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home